Friday, October 12, 2007

Cold

Well, Brad and I made it through Yellowstone yesterday. It was cold. As we crossed into the park on the eastern side, it was like someone turned on the A/C full blast...in the middle of winter. The ride into and through the park was incredible. The mountains are truly majestic and give you a sense of awe. It was 98 miles from the eastern entrance to Old Faithful and we made it there an hour before the sun went down. In Yellowstone, it would be easy to spend an entire week. There is so much to see: hot springs, geysurs, incredible wildlife. But it was cold and that was all the motivation we needed to not get stuck in the park past sunset. Out here, when the sun goes down, it goes from cold to bone chilling, at least on a motorcycle. Fortunately, we made it out of the park just after sunset. In Western Yellowstone, we stopped for dinner and to get warmed up. After dinner, Brad and I parted ways. Brad headed north to return home to Vancouver and I headed South towards Salt Lake City. I decided that the three or four days of being constantly cold was not worth getting to see the western side of Washington and Oregon. I think I'll wait to see those states when it's warmer.

The cold is a very good motivator. It will be nice to get somewhere warmer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice UP video,

I must say I'm disappointed you skipped Eastern Oregon and the great Northwest, though I can sympathize with being frigid on the bike.

If you have some time, check out Southeastern ORegon, the Alvord desert and Poker Jim ridge. You'll see bighorn sheep, herds of antelope, and sand dune deserts like the sahara...

VB said...

Thanks for the commment on the UP vid. Yeah, I was disappointed as well about not seeing Oregon and Washington. I have already started planning my next trip though. It will probably be a coast run from San Diego to Alaska next summer. Should be able to see much or Oregon on that trip.

Christy said...

How does a person sweep through Yellowstone in a brief pre-sunset to post-sunset ride? That had to HURT. Only that rare breed: a tension free decision maker.