Thursday, October 25, 2007

City, Suburbs

My visits in Chicago have lead me to two different places in the City and two different places in the suburbs. The contrast is very interesting. I'm currently visiting with my buddy Dan from college, whom I haven't seen in over 7 years. He bought a three story house on the west side of Chicago and turned it into a rental property in which he currently resides. The location is right where the old ghetto used to be and is still in the transition section of the developing western sprawl and poor sections of the city. Driving around here can be quite interesting. Learning about the development and history of this area from someone who has been in the middle of this transition is incredible. He has hired and fired dozens over the last two years in the upgrade of his property. Many that he's employed have been killed or have gone to jail do to the drug business which is still rampant on many blocks. His story is incredible...very inspiring. It would make a good movie.

At any rate, tomorrow I'm off to Louisville.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

John and I were so glad we got to see you in Chi-town!! And this whole blog is absolutely amazing -- we're so proud of you!!

Love,
Lisa

VB said...

Thanks Lisa for your kind comment. I really appreciate it.